Definition: Aggregate is a collection of items that are gathered together to form a total quantity.

The fleeting moments of knowledge in which we discover our existence are facts that can be committed to memory. We can enlarge this aggregate memory and refashion it as we go through a lifetime. By saving these memories on paper and reconstructing the images of our lives. We see the art of our lives unfolding before us.

Face the brilliance of your most wonderful creations and dwell on your dreams.
I believe in teaching, the sharing of ideas and playfulness of creating.

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Carved Stamp Using Artistcellar Stencils

Hello There,
It is Sarinda here again.... I guess I am Hump Day Girl. LOL. Brought to you here every Wednesday. Hope you are gearing up for a great Fall weekend.
I don't know about you? But I always find myself thinking that I would like... No- LOVE to have a stamp like an Artistcellar stencil. I don't think that I am the only one in this. So-this would be a perfect time to show you how to carve a stamp with a Speedball Lino Cutter and a Speedy-Carve 3x4" block.
Here is what you will need:
Exacto Blade
Paper
Tag
Spray Inks (I used Dylusions and Tim Holtz Distress Stains)
Take your stencil of choice (I am using one from the (Old World Map Series) and a Pitt pen in size "S" outline onto the Speedy-Carve block.

Then you will take the smallest "V" shaped carving tool and put it into the handle. You do this by loosening the metal grip and then slide it in and tighten. I take the Exacto Blade and run it about 3mm deep along the lines. This helps to stop cutting with the Speedball carving tool. (You will see what I mean) Using the smallest "V" shape tool go around the edges that you would like to remove.
Tip: I put an "X" on the pieces that I am wanting to take away. I just don't trust myself. It has happened too many times and quite embarrassing to even speak about the number.
Helpful Hink: Please be so very careful when using sharp tools. Go slow.
Then I will step up to the larger "V" shaped tool and finish carving out the inside of the outlines. Now remember it does not have to be perfect... Leave that for another job. This is made by your hands and this will give your stamp a uniqueness all of your own.
This is how my stamp looked after I carved it.
Now it is time to see how I really did. Ink your stamp with black ink and stamp it onto a white sheet of paper. This will tell me if I have any high spots that I might need to go back and carve out. However- I really like the look of some fine lines. It gives your stamp a sketchy look.

So here is a detail of what I am speaking of. This is all personal perspective. You may want to carve more or not.

Here is the stamped image.

It is so gratifying to create your own stamps. I will use this on journal pages, backgrounds, cards, tags, fabric.... well you get the idea. SO on and SO on. :D

You can also carve the backside if you wish... Just don't go too deep. Also- do your own designs, a doodle, a flower. Whatever- just play.
I hope you will find carving fun.
Warmly-
Sarinda

Glass Site: www.SarindaJones.com

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to cut your own stamps with stencils !! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, Sarinda. I don't do much "free hand," so have never carved a stamp, but your idea of using a stencil is wonderful! I am definitely trying this!

    ReplyDelete